Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Portland or Bust

Everyone has made it to Portland alive. It was truly touch and go for Hannah Dog for a few days, but she soldiered through the trip and is doing great now. She is 14 and does not do well in heat or cold. She does, however, like to jump off of things like pickup tailgates and river-banks. When she is not jumping of them, she tends to fall of them. She is deaf, dumb, stubborn and somewhat addled -the perfect companion, but more about her later.

Between our starting point in Richmond VA and our destination of Portland OR we conquered 13 States, dozens of different "local" beers, a handful of mom and pop diners, the greatest local supermarket ever and a few National Parks. In my Toyota Pickemup, which I once thought was HUGE, we fit three people, two dogs, a thyme plant, a sage plant, a shiso plant, a rhubarb plant, an oregano plant, a jade plant from a clipping of my cousin Timmy's plant, a chive plant, two little green caterpillars that ate most of the shiso plant, and enough gear to supply a platoon.

Why we dragged the plants and all their soil completely across the entire country is now a mystery to me. When we left, it seemed not only logical, but like a great idea. They nearly got planted a couple of times at rest stops along the way, but my lack of a shovel saved them in the beginning. As the trip went on it became more stubbornness that stopped me from abandoning them and anyone who knows either Akiko or me can confirm that one of us can usually out-stubborn the other.

I have tons of photos and even more stupid anecdotes that I intend to post here. I will try to keep it from becoming one of those dreaded "hey look at my slide show from our summer vacation." I do not intend to post things in order nor to post everything nor to post regularly. I will post stuff up as the fancy strikes me. Normally, I would be worried that my awful memory would not let me drag things out, but I actually took notes during the trip! Look out world.

Akiko and I right before leaving (yes the truck was a little full):

No comments:

Post a Comment